St Paul’s Pastoral Council came about following an initial discussion in February 1988, with the first elections being held in July 1989 having a constitution setting out the Formal Terms of Reference which are briefly as follows:-
- Elected Chair
- 12 Elected Pastoral Council Members, from which a Vice Chair and Secretary are elected.
There are some non elected members, namely
- Parish Priest – Father Bernard
- Deacon – Deacon Bill
Along with some Ex Officio members
- Finance Committee Rep
- Deanery Forum Rep
All parishioners over the age of 16 are eligible to vote when election are held every July.
Those elected to serve, do so for a three-year period, with meeting being held once every two months having a strategic role in advising and promoting the spiritual, social and material aspects of the life of our parish. To this end during the last few years the Pastoral Council has been involved in number initiatives and activities as follows:-
- Parish Conversation
- Establishing St Paul’s Youth in Action
- Setting up St Paul’s Youth at Heart Group
- Organising the events to celebrate the year of St Paul and the Parish’s 50th anniversary in 2009.
- Arranging a parish mission, Reciting the Rosary before mass during the month of May.