Bernard Jackson was born in Bradford on 13th June 1916, He received his early education at St Bede’s Grammar School, Bradford where for almost a century many Catholic lay folk and priests have been formed. His studies for the priesthood were pursued at the seminary of St Cuthbert, Ushaw near Durham which led to his ordination to the priesthood in St Anne’s Cathedral, Leeds on 20 April, 1941 by Bishop Poskitt.
After ordination Father Jackson served as assistant priest at Leeds Cathedral until 1942 moving to, St Nicholas, Gipton until 1945 when he transferred to St Marie’s, Sheffield – now the Cathedral - and in 1951 to St Bernard’s, Halifax before becoming Parish Priest of Our Lady and St Michael’s, Settle. In June 1959 Father Jackson was given the responsibility for the formation of the new Parish of St Paul’s, Cantley, where he remained until 1962 before being appointed to the Blessed Sacrament Church, Athersley, Barnsley. Seven years later Father Jackson was appointed to St Mary’s, Rotherham where he had his longest stay of fourteen years. Following the death of Fr C O’Brien at Oldcotes, Father Jackson was appointed as Rector of St Helen’s, Oldcotes in 1982.
After a life enriched by his priesthood in the service of God, dedicated to the Church and his beloved parishioners, Father Jackson had the immense joy of celebrating fifty years as a priest in 1991, when a large number of his own family, friends and parishioners, past and present, attended his Golden Jubilee celebrations. After a long and active life, Father Jackson died in Bassetlaw District and General Hospital on Sunday, 22 March 1992. following a road accident, whilst still a Parish Priest. He was much loved by all who knew him.