Convent of Mercy

The roots of the Cantley Convent can be traced right back to 1887, The Sisters valiantly met great challenges including living successively in two dilapidated rat ­infested houses in the Waterdale area of Doncaster town centre.

From the outset, their influence in the educational field was profound and greatly appreciated by the Local Education Authority. As Doncaster was a coal mining area there was a tremendous amount of poverty at the turn of the century. All the traditional Mercy ministries, especially that of visitation of the poor and housebound were carried on as well as full involvement in education at both Primary and Secondary levels, with the community continually adapting to changes in Education Policy

 Convent

In 1970 the community moved from both Rutland Road, Doncaster and Bawtry Road, Bessacarr to a purpose-built convent and school at Cantley, the school having the name of our Foundress, ‘McAuley High School’. For many years the community continued in their varied Mercy ministries, visiting prisons, working with travelling communities at their sites, hospice work, to mention but a few.

The Mercy Ministry now is centred on the care of the elderly, sick Sisters of the Institute for whom the house has been adapted. They continue to minister by being a prayerful presence for the needs of all and along with visit the housebound in the Parish.

Tea, Coffee & Biscuits

Tea and coffee available in the Church Hall after Mass on  most Sundays. 

See newsletter for details

Finance

The collection last week raised £529.

Many thanks.

There will be a second collection today for Missio, the Pope’s charity for world mission.