Matthew Valentine Malone was born in Donnybrook, a suburb of Dublin on 14th February 1917 – hence the reason why he was baptised Valentine. He studied philosophy at Limerick and Theology at the Leeds Seminary and at All Hallows in Dublin. He was ordained a priest at All Hallows on 22nd June 1941.
His first curacy was at the Holy Rosary Parish in Leeds where he served until becoming an Army Chaplain in May 1944. He served in the army until the end of 1955 and was appointed a curate in Batley until 1957. He was then appointed Parish Priest of St Brigid's, Churwell Leeds and then he was appointed Parish Priest of St Winifred’s Wibsey, Bradford in January 1960.
Father Matt was appointed Parish Priest at St. Paul’s in February 1962 during which time he witnessed an extensive expansion in the size of the Parish following the enormous housing building programme on both sides of Bawtry Road, the construction of the Catherine Macauly Upper School in 1970 along with relocation and amalgamation of the Sister of Mercy’s convents at Boston Spa, Thorne Road Doncaster and Bawtry Road into a new convent on Warrington Tongue Lane.
One of the highlight’s of his ministry was overseeing the building of the current church and adjoining presbytery in 1973. Father Matt died peacefully in hospital in Sheffield on 12th August 1982 after a long and protracted illness.